Nourishing Yourself with the Elements—An Hour of Art, Poetry & Meditation
April 28, 4:00-5:15 pm
Join local artist Angela White and Rebecca Hines for an hour of art, poetry & meditation at Angela’s new local exhibit. Angela White is a fine artist inspired by physical, spiritual and emotional memories that create the visual depth and density of her work.
Lavinia Wohlfarth Galleries
3418 9th Street, NE
Half-block from Red Line Brookland/CUA
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction – Next Course Begins
Saturday, September 22
Blue Heron Wellness, Silver Spring, MD.
Join Rebecca for eight classes, Sundays from February 25–April 29 from 2:00–4:30 pm, (2:00–5:00 pm on first/last day), plus a full day retreat on Sunday, April 15 19. No class Easter Sunday 4/1.
- Evidence-based eight week course that teaches skills to reduce physical and emotional stress and enhance day-to-day well-being.
- Powerful methods for reducing stress and learning to actively participate in your health and well-being.
- Learn to mobilize your mind and body to take charge of your life and cope more effectively with life’s stressors.
- Click here for a one page flyer – and here for background on MBSR.
- To receive the registration form, email us.
The Buddha’s Path to Freedom: The Four Noble Truths for the 21st Century, with Hugh Byrne
Postponed until Fall 2018. 7:15 PM – 8:45 PM. Series Cost $200
IMCW Center for Mindful Living, 4708 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Upper floor, Washington, DC, 20016
The Buddha’s central teachings of the Four Noble Truths are as relevant and liberating today as they were in the Buddha’s time 2,500 years ago in northern India.
What has changed dramatically is the world that we are living in—particularly its complexity, pace, and technological advances. But because of our basic evolutionary impulses and our tendencies to get caught in unwholesome mind states and emotions, these teachings continue to provide a reliable path to ending suffering and living with ease and well-being.
In this six-week class, IMCW senior teacher Hugh Byrne explores the Four Noble Truths—1) there is suffering; 2) there is cause of suffering—clinging; 3) there is an end to suffering—freedom/nirvana; and 4) there is a path to the end of suffering—the Noble Eightfold Path (training in meditation, living wisely, and cultivating wisdom)—and discusses how they can help us live with greater freedom amidst the challenges of our time. We will put a particular focus on experiential practices of meditation and mindfulness in daily life that help us abandon painful mind states and cultivate those that lead to happiness and peace.
Each session will include a period of guided meditation, a talk on the teachings, and time for questions and sharing. The only prerequisite for this class is a commitment to investigating the teachings and exploring them in practice in daily life.
To register, email us at email@example.com. Co-sponsored with the Insight Meditation Community of Washington.
Sunday Morning Meditation with Hugh, 10:30am to noon
The Center for Mindful Living, Tenleytown, NW DC.
Hugh’s Sunday morning meditation group in Tenleytown, Washington, DC is for many an oasis in a busy week. It includes two periods of guided meditations, mindful movement between sittings, and time at the end of the session to focus on a particular area of sitting or daily-life practice.
Insight meditation cultivates our natural wisdom and compassion. Meditation practice develops concentration, which allows us to calm and steady the mind.
- Newcomers to meditation and long time practitioners are welcome to attend IMCW classes. Chairs are always provided or you may bring your sitting gear.
- No registration necessary – offered on a donation basis.
Tuesday Evening Meditation with Rebecca, 6:30-7:30 pm
Blue Heron Wellness, Silver Spring, MD.
Rebecca offers instruction and guidance in the practice of mindfulness meditation and teachings of awareness and compassion.
- We focus on practices that support opening to life and finding freedom in the midst of daily life.
- Brief gentle movement also included to reduce tension in the body.
- Suited for beginners to meditation as well as offering support for experienced practitioners wishing to deepen their practice.
- All are welcome. Offered on a donation basis.